AANE offers four types of supports for Parents/Families of Adults:
- Online Community Connection Session
- Support Group Series
- Ongoing/Drop-In Support Groups
- Online Discussion Forum
For parents of adults on the spectrum, parenting can be demanding, frustrating, and at times stressful long after the child is grown. Parents who are members of support groups gain feedback and perspective from peers on issues such as:
- maintaining a healthy parent/child relationship
- keeping the lines of communication open
- Accessing services to help their child find employment,live independently, and connect socially
- taking time to support themselves
AANE parents of adult support groups are designed for parents and family members of post-high school adults on the spectrum. Family members must be 18 years or older to join these groups or the online discussion forum. AANE staff members facilitate these in-person and online groups, as well as our online discussion forum.
Support group series are designed to create a tight-knit peer support network that members can tap into even after all group meetings in the series end. Groups meet in-person or online for 90 minutes for 6-12 meetings. Meetings may be weekly, every other week, or monthly. Members of the group must register in advance, and groups are typically limited to 12 members. Each group is facilitated by an AANE staff member. Cost:Cost varies by group ($150-$275) and covers all of the meetings in the support group series.(Financial assistance is available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Click below to see our in-person and online parent of adult support group series, and sign up for early notifications if registration is closed.
This Parent of Adult Support Group Series is now open for registration:
- Cancelled - Online Support Group Series for Parents of Neurodivergent, Transgender/Non-Binary Adults --- This group has been cancelled due to low enrollment.