AANE offers four types of supports for Parents/Families of Adults 23 years old and older:
- Online "Open" Community Connection Sessions for Parents/Families of Adults - help relieve isolation by connecting with community members and AANE staff.
- Online "Closed" Support Groups for Parents and Families of Adults - have the same members for a set number of sessions.
- Online "Open" Support Groups for Parents/Families of Adults - have an undefined number of group members with new people joining on a regular basis.
- Online Discussion Forum for Parents and Families of Adults
For parents of adults on the spectrum, parenting can be demanding, frustrating, and at times stressful long after the child is grown. Parents who are members of support groups gain feedback and perspective from peers on issues such as:
- maintaining a healthy parent/child relationship
- keeping the lines of communication open
- accessing services to help their child find employment, live independently, and connect socially
- taking time to support themselves
AANE parents of adult support groups are designed for parents and family members of post-high school adults on the spectrum. Family members must be 18 years or older to join these groups or the online discussion forum. AANE staff members facilitate these in-person and online groups, as well as our online discussion forum.
** Parents of adults who are still in high school should join the Online Discussion Forums for Parents of Children and Teens (through High School)
** Spouses and partners of adults with Aspergers should join the Online Discussion Forum for Couples