“That was the most helpful conversation I have had with anyone about my son. The isolation and frustration I had been feeling was overwhelming. Thank you for sharing your time and wisdom. I feel greatly relieved to have some ideas to apply that make sense for our family.”
What is Parent Coaching?
- Individualized problem solving and skill-building for parents of children, teens or adults to address your child and family's unique needs at home, school, work or out in the community.
- Guidance to help navigate school related concerns: review IEP/504 plans, prepare for school meetings, and support effective home-school communication.
- Organization and planning to help you create a family roadmap and prioritize where you need to spend your time, money and energy.
- Practical strategies to help you "parent on the same page."
- Targeted and tailored information concerning benefits and supports for adults and their families.
When Should I Consider Parent Coaching?
- If Asperger/Autism is new to you and you don't know where to begin.
- If you want help sorting through conflicting or overwhelming information or recommendations to figure out what will be the right fit for your child and family.
- If you feel frustrated or confused by your child's school program or team.
- If you need practical parenting strategies to help your family function with less friction.
- If you and your spouse/partner/co-parent need help parenting on the same page.
- If things are going well now but you want to plan for transitions, independence and adulthood.
How Do I Schedule Parent Coaching?
Parent coaching is available in person at AANE, by phone, or video-conferencing. All sessions are one-hour in length and available by appointment. It's easy to sign up for your coaching session and pay online. Spanish language services are also available.
AANE is very honored to have been awarded a $100,000.00 grant from the Cummings Foundation in support of Parent Coaching in Middlesex, Suffolk, and Essex counties in Massachusetts. Please email Brenda.firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about financial assistance for parent coaching in these 3 counties.
Step 1: Read the Terms of Agreement.
Step 2: Decide whether you prefer a 4 session package (talking one hour per week with your coach for 4 weeks) or a single session. Save $75 when you sign up for the 4 session package.
Step 3: Click here to register. Choose your appointment type (parent of child/teen OR parent of adult), your coach, your first appointment and pay.
- The single session fee may be applied to the series if requested by the end of the initial session.
- Additional single or series sessions may be scheduled.
What People are Saying About Parent Coaching
"After talking with you I feel greatly empowered and more confident that we can do this and get through the next few years in one piece. It's obvious you know what it's like to live with Asperger's in your family. Thank you!"
Meet the AANE Parent Coaches
Stephanie Loo, M.Ed.
Stephanie Loo, M.Ed., Director of Information and Referral, Child and Teen Services, is the mother of a young adult with Asperger's. She has worked at AANE since 2001. Stephanie has developed educational programs for parents, facilitated support groups, and assisted individual families by phone, over Skype and in person.
Brenda Dater, MPH, MSW
Brenda Dater, MPH, MSW, Associate Director, is the author of Parenting Without Panic. Brenda is mom to 3 sons, including a college student with an Asperger profile. Brenda joined the staff at AANE in 2007 and has been working with parents for over 20 years. She has completed the Federation for Children with Special Needs parent consultant training and a fellowship with the Institute for Nonprofit Management and Leadership at Tufts University.
Laura Perez, MSc
Laura Perez, MSc, is a Parent Coach for parents of children and teens, and Director of the Latino Program. As a mother of three, including a teen with ASD, Laura offers support and practical guidance for dealing with behavior concerns, family dynamics, and getting the appropriate services and supports in place at school. Her goal is to leave you with customized strategies to support your family.