What is Coaching for Parents of Adults?
Parents of post-high school adults should consider parent coaching when they have a complex set of questions or difficult issues to address. Parent coaching is a one-to-one intensive problem solving and skills-building session or series of sessions designed to help parents of post-high school adults identify practical strategies they can use to address their adult child’s and their family’s unique needs at home, at college, work, or out in the community. If you are the parent of an adult who is still in high school, click here to learn about AANE parent coaching for children and teens.
Some of the problems we’ve helped parents address through parent coaching:
- "My son knows he has Asperger’s but doesn’t accept the diagnosis. How do I get him to ask for help?"
- "Our daughter was diagnosed with Asperger’s only recently. What does it mean for her future? For our future?"
- "Our adult child no longer communicates with us. He is in “shut down” mode and we are worried we will lose him."
- "My son may be an adult, but he’s really irresponsible. How do I keep him out of trouble? I don’t have any control over him."
- "My husband and I are getting older and our daughter has always lived with us. How should we prepare her for when we aren’t there anymore?"
Through coaching we help parents:
- Parent on the same page Improve communication with their adult child
- Target the right benefits, support resources and providers to help their adult child and their family reach their goals.
- Identify and try out practical strategies for changing behaviors (both theirs and their child’s).
- Create a roadmap and prioritize where they need to spend time, money, and energy to achieve their goals.
How Much does Parent Coaching Cost?
A single parent coaching session is $125. You can also schedule 4 coaching sessions for $400 to reduce the per session cost to $100 for each session. We recognize that cost can be an obstacle for some families. AANE is very honored to have been awarded grants from the Cummings Foundation in support of Parent Coaching in Middlesex, Suffolk, and Essex counties in Massachusetts, and a John W. Alden Trust grant for transition to adulthood related parent coaching in Eastern MA for families needing financial assistance.
Please email Janeka.Melanson@aane.org for more information about financial assistance for parent coaching in these 3 counties.
Schedule a Parent Coaching Session
Parent coaching is available in person at AANE, by phone or video-conferencing. All sessions are one-hour in length and available by appointment. Follow the three steps below to learn more about our parent coaches and schedule your first session.
What People are Saying About Parent Coaching
"After talking with you I feel greatly empowered and more confident that we can do this and get through the next few years in one piece. It's obvious you know what it's like to live with Asperger's in your family. Thank you!"