The Family Grant is CLOSED and no longer accepting applications for 2018 from families living in New England.
Qualifications for a Grant
You must meet all of the following criteria to apply for a family grant:
- Location: You must live in Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, or Connecticut.
- Diagnosis: Your child must have a diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome or a related Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Financial Need: This grant is specifically for low and moderate income families. Priority will be given to families with an income at or under $44,100 (for a family of four), although in special circumstances families with higher income will be considered. There will be a cut off at what the Federal Government considers the top of the moderate income bracket. Please do not apply if your family income exceeds these guidelines:
- $29,140 to $32,480 for a family of 2
- $36,620 to $40,840 for a family of 3
- $44,100 to $49,200 for a family of 4
- $51,580 to $57,560 for a family of 5
- $59,060 to $65,920 for a family of 6
Grants will range from $50.00 - $500.00
What you can ask for
You may apply to use the money for anything that directly improves the life of a child with Asperger Syndrome or related diagnosis.
Examples of possible uses of grant money:
- Adapted Bicycle
- Occupational therapy
- Adaptive swimming lessons
- Physical therapy
- Puzzles and Games
- Art classes
- Respite Care
- Books and videos
- Sensory Integration training
- Camp Tuition/Aide's Salary
- Social skills training
- Computer Software
- Speech therapy
- Sports equipment
- Educational evaluation
- Therapeutic skating lessons
- Horseback-riding lessons
- Educational video games
- Membership to the YMCA
- Vision services
- Music classes/instruments
To be considered for funds, please supply all of the paperwork listed below. It is your responsibility to ensure that your application is complete. We cannot process your application until we have received all the necessary documentation.
Feel free to explain any unusual or special circumstances regarding your need that may not be evident by completing the application.
Step 1: Complete the application (application form currently unavailable because the program is closed)
Step 2: Provide documentation of family income.
- If you are required to file a tax return, please supply the first page of your most current completed tax return.
- If you are not required to file a tax return, please supply alternative documentation, such as unemployment income, SSI or transitional assistance.
Step 3: Provide current documentation of diagnosis
- Summary page from a report of neuropsychological testing (or, if unavailable, substitute psycho-educational testing by a school psychologist) and/or
- Individualized Education Plan- Student Strengths and Key Evaluation Results Summary page
- Documentation must be within the last 5 years.
When all the paperwork is received, it will be reviewed by the AANE Family Grants Administrator (Suzanne.Tompkins@aane.org).
If funds are available, the Family Grants Administrator will notify approved applicants and the AANE Business Manager will issue a check to the family or to the service provider indicated on the application.
If applicant wants to change the use of funds after acceptance, you MUST contact the AANE Family Grants Administrator in advance to obtain approval.
If an application is rejected, the applicant will receive notification of the reason for the rejection. In that case, families should feel free to reapply if their circumstances change such that they meet the eligibility requirements listed above.
Proof of service or purchase of goods
Families receiving money MUST send receipts or other proof of purchase for the agreed upon goods or services to AANE. This grant will be audited by a CPA and we must have proper documentation! You will be considered for a future grant only if we have received your receipts.
Please feel free to call Suzanne Tompkins, the AANE Family Grants Administrator, at 617 393-3824 x41 if you have any questions regarding the application process. We look forward to hearing from you.