Organization Description: The Asperger/Autism Network (AANE) is a non-profit human service organization based in Watertown, Massachusetts. AANE helps people with Asperger’s or similar autism spectrum and neurodiverse profiles build meaningful, connected lives. We provide individuals, families, and professionals with information, education, community, support, and advocacy — all in an inclusive atmosphere of validation and respect.
AANE’s Commitment to Recruiting and Retaining Racially Diverse Professionals: As a global leader in promoting neurodiverse environments in all aspects of society, AANE is deeply committed to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the communities we serve and in our own workplace. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a racially diverse team, and we encourage professionals of color to apply for this and other job opportunities with our organization. Please consider joining us.
Position Description: Are you looking for a part-time job with flexible hours and wonderful clients? Do you want to help empower adults with Asperger Syndrome (AS) to increase their independence and succeed in life?
As a Life Management Assistance Program (LifeMAP) coach, you will provide practical assistance to adults with AS and similar autism spectrum profiles. Our clients are bright and interesting people who may need assistance in one or more areas of independent living, interpersonal skills, community integration, education, and employment. Coaching takes place one-on-one and is highly individualized, with a focus on identifying and progressively overcoming the specific barriers that stand in the way of each client’s success.
Hours are flexible and can be built around your schedule. You may choose to work with anywhere from 5 to 15 clients, or 5-15 hours of active coaching per week. In addition, newly hired coaches participate in a comprehensive initial training, receive ongoing supervision in person and via video conferencing, and telephone and email support.
- Provide intensive, individualized coaching to adults diagnosed with AS or related conditions
- Meet with clients in their homes, their communities, or the AANE main office
- Create goal-specific contracts to guide the work being done
- Administer pre-tests to determine baseline skills
- Re-evaluate at regular intervals to assess clients’ progress
- Administer post-tests at completion of work agreed upon in contract
- Record status/progress of clients tasks regularly
- Help clients expand their support networks
- Communicate with clients’ existing support networks
- Attend coaches’ quarterly meetings
- Attend coaches’ clinical hour video conferences
Work Experience Requirements:
- Previous experience in a coaching or mentoring role preferred
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of clients, their families, and other services providers
- Basic computer/internet user skills required
- Understanding of a career development process required
Education / Personal Requirements:
- Master’s Degree in a related field is required or extensive field experience with minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
- Deep knowledge of Asperger Syndrome or related conditions in adults, with the desire to learn more (life experience is a bonus)
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Commitment to AANE’s mission and values
Contact: Nataliya Poto – LifeMAP Program Director
Application components required:
- Cover letter
- Copy of degree
- Contact information for three professional references