Child and Teen Services Family Support Specialist (20 hours/week)
The Child and Teen Services Family Support Specialist is responsible for providing information, support, and resources to parents and other family members of children and teens with Asperger’s and related autism spectrum profiles. This can be done through scheduled phone calls, emails, or in person. Parent coaching and Individualized Education Program (IEP) reviews can be provided in person or through phone or video appointments. The family support specialist is an integral part of the Child and Teen Services team and participates in program planning and implementation. The family support specialist is supervised by the Child and Teen Services Director.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Information, referral and support via phone, email or in person to parents and other family members and professionals working with children and teens with Asperger profiles
- Parent Coaching
- IEP Reviews
- Online and/or in person support group facilitation for parents
- Attend organization-wide conferences and programs throughout the year
- Participate in child and teen services team meetings and support overall goals of department.
- Master's degree in related field (Mental Health Counselor, School Psychologist, Educator, Speech and Language Pathologist, Social Worker, etc.) with at least 2 years related experience preferred. Personal and professional experience considered in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Experience and deep understanding of special education, including the development, review and implementation of Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) and 504 Plans.
- Experience with individuals with Asperger’s and/or related autism profiles
- Experience working with parents
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to learn and use technology
To apply for the position please submit a resume and cover letter to Director of Child and Teen Services, Nancy Parker at firstname.lastname@example.org.