A perceptive-cognitive style that lends towards and ability to contextualize, or to see the big picture. Individuals with strong central coherence can easily:
- Abstract a main idea from text or conversation.
- Recognize and categorizing information.
- Understanding complex or abstract concepts.
- Generalizing skills from one setting to another.
Individuals with weak central coherence:
- Can be more preoccupied with details, focusing on the nuances of the parts, rather than the gist of the whole. One might say that those with weak central coherence struggle to see the forest for the trees.
- On the flipside, they might have a unique ability to understand the details, to see the trees with refined perception.